April 4, 2008
Parliament is debating a new counter-terrorism bill, it had it's second reading on the 1st. The main elements of the bill are:
- a provision to allow the pre-charge detention of terrorist suspects to be extended from 28 days to 42 days in certain circumstances
- changes to enable the post-charge questioning of terrorist suspects and the drawing of adverse inferences from silence
- imposing requirements on people convicted of terrorist offences to let authorities know where they are living and any changes to their circumstances
- enhanced sentencing of offenders who commit offences with a terrorist connection
- provision for inquests and inquiries to be heard without a jury."
By the way, Parliament has a wonderful bill site, no?