Country-by-Country Guide to Foreign Law Research
This country-by-country guide will help get you started on your foreign law research by connecting you to the best research guides and databases for each country.
Notes about the guide:
- Links under Country go to the CIA's World Factbook.
- The LC Call Number indicates where the print materials for that country are located on the Lower East Side (LES) of the Yale Law Library.
- The Regional Map icons go to a map of the larger geographical region.
- LC Country Studies provide social, political, legal and economic information
- The FLG is the outstanding and comprehensive Foreign Law Guide which will give you the historical, political and legal framework for each country plus the past and current sources of legal information, including where to find legislation, codes and case decisions, print and online. This is a Yale subscription database.
- HLS refers to Harvard Law School's list of online guides to doing legal research in foreign jurisdictions.
- WorldLII is a directory of legal information available on the Internet.
- The Online Guides column includes the most substantial guide available from a library or research site.
- The World Law Guide is a good resource for current legislation.
- The Gazettes column features a link to the country's national gazette.
- Finally, the Other Databases column lists other valuable subscription or open-access databases or websites for that country.
LC Call Number Range
|Regional Map||LC Country Study||FLG||HLS||Legal Information Institute (WorldLii)||Online Guides||WorldLaw Guide||Gazettes||Other Databases|
|Iceland (KKG)||||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide||
Stjornatidindi; Logbirtingablad (not available online)
|India (KNS)|| CS||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide||
Lexis (Case Law, International Arbitration)
Advocate Khoj(Acts and Rules passed by the Indian Parliament, full text of Supreme Court Judgments (1950 onwards), Legal Forms, Sample Agreements and Glossary)
Indian Judicial Pronouncements:
|Indonesia (KNW)|| CS||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide||
Lembaran Negara Republik Indonesia; Berita Negara Republik Indonesia (not available online)
Lexis (International Arbitration)
Westlaw (Environmental, Health & Safety Regulations)
|Iran, Islamic Republic of (KMH)|| CS||FLG||HLS||  WorldLII||
Ruznamah-'i Rasmi-i Jumhuri-i Islami (not available online)
|Iraq (KMJ)|| CS||FLG||HLS||LOC||||
Al Waqa'i Al-Iraqiya (Official) - presently not available online
|Ireland, Republic of (KDK)||||FLG||HLS||  BaiLII WorldLII||WorldLaw Guide||
Lexis (Case Law, Treatises, International Arbitration)
Westlaw (Patents & Trademarks)
|Israel (KMK)|| CS||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide||
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Israel's bilateral agreements; English)
UTexas translated legal materials
LAPAM (Israel law database)
Lexis (International Arbitration)
|Italy (KKH)||||FLG||HLS||  WorldLII||WorldLaw Guide||
Normeinrete (portal for access to all published Italian legislation)
Lexis (ItaliaOggi, ItaliaOggi7, Legislation & Regulations, International Arbitration)
Westlaw (Environmental, Health & Safety Regulations, Patents & Trademarks)
Stephanie Davidson created the original version of this guide for a clinic several years ago. It has since been modified to suit general foreign law research. Thanks to Zhang Yue, YC '10 and Anna Ershova, YC '11 for their assistance in updating this guide.