Country-by-Country Guide to Foreign Law Research
This country-by-country guide will help get you started on your foreign law research by connecting you to the best research guides and databases for each country.
Notes about the guide:
- Links under Country go to the CIA's World Factbook.
- The LC Call Number indicates where the print materials for that country are located on the Lower East Side (LES) of the Yale Law Library.
- The Regional Map icons go to a map of the larger geographical region.
- LC Country Studies provide social, political, legal and economic information
- The FLG is the outstanding and comprehensive Foreign Law Guide which will give you the historical, political and legal framework for each country plus the past and current sources of legal information, including where to find legislation, codes and case decisions, print and online. This is a Yale subscription database.
- HLS refers to Harvard Law School's list of online guides to doing legal research in foreign jurisdictions.
- WorldLII is a directory of legal information available on the Internet.
- The Online Guides column includes the most substantial guide available from a library or research site.
- The World Law Guide is a good resource for current legislation.
- The Gazettes column features a link to the country's national gazette.
- Finally, the Other Databases column lists other valuable subscription or open-access databases or websites for that country.
LC Call Number Range
|Regional Map||LC Country Study||FLG||HLS||Legal Information Institute (WorldLii)||Online Guides||WorldLaw Guide||Gazettes||Other Databases|
|Uganda (KTW)|| CS||FLG||||WorldLaw Guide||
Uganda Gazette (not available online)
|Ukraine (KKY)||||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide||
Збірник урядових нормативних актів України (Collection of Normative Acts of Ukraine's Government; in Ukrainian); Офіційний вісник України (link 1);
Офіційний вісник України (link 2) (Official Gazette of Ukraine; in Ukrainian)
Legal Acts of Ukraine (English)
Jurist Guide to Ukrainian Law and Human Rights
|United Arab Emirates (KMV)|| CS||FLG||||WorldLaw Guide||
Official Gazette (Gazette of the UAE) not available online
|United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) (KD - Eng & Wales; KDC - Scotland; KDE - No. Ireland)||||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide||
The Official Turks and Caicos Islands Government Gazette Government of Anguilla official gazette (Anguila; not available online)
Justis (laws, cases up to 1875&statutory documents - Yale network only)
Lawtel (laws, cases - Yale network only)
UK Parliament (publications)
British and Irish Legal Institute (public legal information)
Scottish Courts (case law database)
Lexis (Treaties & International Agreements, Case Law, Legislation & Regulations, Journals, Law Lists & Directories, Legal Updates, Lexis-Nexis Practice Materials, Commentaries & Treatises, International Arbitration, Mealey Publications
Westlaw (Case Law, Legislation, Statutes, All Reports, Law in Force, Legal & Regulatory Developments Index - LRDI)
|Uruguay (KHU)|| CS||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide||
Latin Laws -- Biblioteca Legal Latinoamericana
|Uzbekistan (KLW)|| CS||FLG||HLS||WorldLaw Guide|||
Stephanie Davidson created the original version of this guide for a clinic several years ago. It has since been modified to suit general foreign law research. Thanks to Zhang Yue, YC '10 and Anna Ershova, YC '11 for their assistance in updating this guide.