2018-2022 Strategic Plan
Vision: To be the best academic law library in the world
Mission: The Lillian Goldman Law Library supports the rich educational and scholarly programs of Yale Law School and Yale University. We contribute to global legal research, scholarship, and education. Our outstanding collections and exemplary services make the library a centerpiece of the Yale Law School experience.
|Intellectual Curiosity:||We engage the world creatively with open minds, seeking and sharing knowledge across the global community.|
|Thoughtfulness:||We are reflective, strategic, and deliberate in our library assessment and decision-making.|
|Dissemination of Knowledge:||We gather, organize, and preserve digital and physical resources to facilitate access to knowledge. We guide and instruct in the discovery, use, and evaluation of information.|
|Helpfulness:||We utilize our expertise to provide the highest level of service to anticipate and meet the needs of patrons and colleagues.|
We value and respect each member of our community as a complete person. We endeavor to foster diversity, inclusion, and compassion in our library and beyond.
- Implement and maintain the best systems and processes to provide the highest level of service to Yale Law School faculty, students, and staff.
- Explore sustainable and innovative approaches to research support and education.
- Build and maintain world-class digital and print collections that serve the Yale Law School and the larger legal and scholarly communities.
- Preserve our collection in useful and accessible formats.
- Ensure intellectual access to law library resources through robust description and organization that facilitates discovery, access, and use of information.
- Foster an environment that encourages forward thinking and risk-taking without obstacles to innovation.
- Explore digital tools and strategies to enhance legal research and scholarship.
- Participate in the development of emerging technical and professional standards and initiatives.
- Develop models for assessing new and existing responsibilities to optimize use of resources and personnel.
- Expand the law library’s engagement in the legal and library professions through advocacy in the areas of information policy and access to justice.
- Promote accuracy in and open access to information.
- Acquire resources for an inclusive present and future, ensuring that underrepresented and marginalized groups and views are meaningfully reflected in the library’s collection.
- Cultivate relationships with diverse populations in the law school and the library profession.
- Integrate environmental awareness and green practices into library operations.
- Improve communication with patrons to increase awareness and understanding of the value and utility of information literacy.
- Explore innovative methods to actively engage and educate patrons on our services and resources.
- Make imaginative and deliberate use of presentation space and media to inform patrons and enhance the library experience.
- Augment staff understanding through transparency of job duties, workflows, and administrative operations.
- Enhance internal communication by encouraging open dialogue during decision-making.
- Foster a culture of autonomy that values our staff as experts, professionals, and unique individuals.
- Further the development and welfare of our staff by ensuring time and space for professional growth, thoughtful reflection, and wellness.
- Address potential safety and emergency issues within the library, developing protocols as necessary to meet patron and staff concerns.
- In all the library’s activities, be welcoming, supportive, and useful.