Collected, Published Letters:
· I Must Resist: Bayard Rustin’s Life in Letters. Michael G. Long. (2012)
Seminal Writings/Collected Writings:
· Jane Addams. The Jane Addams Reader. Jean Bethke Elshtain. (2001)
· Jane Addams The Selected Papers of Jane Addams.
Volume 1 http://hdl.handle.net/10079/bibid/11989753 and
· Crystal Eastman. Crystal Eastman on Women and Revolution. Blanche Wiesen Cook, ed. (1978)
· James Farmer. “The Race Logic of Pacifism”.7 Fellowship no. 2 February 1942. [Yale’s copy of this particular issue of Fellowship is missing. http://www.worldcat.org/title/fellowship-a-magazine-of-peacemaking/oclc/906137934&referer=brief_results. ]
· Jessie Wallace Hughan. Materials not at Yale. See WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/.
o “Woman and War” New York Call, Woman Suffrage Special, June 19, 1915
o “What is War Resistance?” New York: War Resisters League, n.d. [1920s]
· Pauli Murray. Pauli Murray: Selected Sermons and Writings. Anthony B. Prinn, ed. (2006)
· A. Philip Randolph. For Jobs and Freedom: Selected Speeches and Writings of A. Philip Randolph. Andrew E. Kersten and David Lucander, eds. (2014)
[A previous edition was entitled, Down the Line, which Rustin edited himself. C. Vann Woodward provided the Introduction (1971)]
· Bayard Rustin. Strategies for Freedom: The Changing Patterns of Black Protest.
· Thoreau, Henry, David. Resistance to Civil Government. (1849)
· Norman Thomas.
o “The Case of the Christian Pacifists at Los Angeles”. National Civil Liberties Bureau. (1917)
o “War’s Heretics: A Plea for the Conscientious Objector.” American Liberty Defense League. (1917)
o The Conscientious Objector in America. (1923)
· Howard Thurman. Howard Thurman: Essential Writings (2006).
· Ralph Abernathy. And the Walls Came Tumbling Down. (1989)
· Jane Addams. Twenty Years at Hull House.[numerous editions 1910/1999]
· James Farmer. Lay Bare the Heart: An Autobiography of the Civil Rights Movement. (1998)
· Gordon Hirabayashi. A Principled Stand: The Story of Hirabayashi v. United States. (2013)
· George Houser. No One Can Stop the Rain: Glimpses of Africa’s Liberation Struggles. (1989)
· John Lewis. Walking with the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement. (1998)
· Pauli Murray. The Autobiography of a Black Activist, Feminist, Lawyer, Priest, and Poet. (1989)
· Grace Paley. Just As I Thought. (2014)
· Clarence Pickett. For More Than Bread, an Autobiographical Account of Twenty-Two Years’ Work With the American Friends Service Committee (1953)
· Jo Ann Gibson Robinson and David Garrow. The Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Women Who Started It: The Memoir of Jo Ann Gibson Robinson. (1987)
· John Haynes Holmes. I Speak for Myself. .
· Howard Thurman. With Head and Heart: The Autobiography of Howard Thurman. (1979).