Our primary focus for Fall 2020 is to provide excellent, sustainable service to our community, while prioritizing the health of our staff and users.
Library Space Restricted
Library stacks and carrels are restricted to library-staff only. Please do not enter spaces marked for library-staff only. These restrictions will allow our staff to work safely throughout the library while providing services.
Scan and Deliver
You can make scan requests directly from the MORRIS catalog: click into the item record and then hit the Scan and Deliver button. You will be prompted to sign in with your net id and password, and then fill in a short request form detailing the pages you need etc.
Scanning will be slower than usual, and we will not be able to rush requests. Please only request material you need for the week’s reading, and give us as much notice as possible.
Scanning is limited by copyright restrictions.
Getting Research Help
- Our Librarians are committed to helping you with your research even though we are not all on campus together. Please see below for all of the ways you can contact us.
- You can contact a Research Librarian via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail) and add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure our response goes to your inbox. We are available for email research help from 9am-6pm Monday-Thursday and 9am-5pm on Friday.
- You can speak to the Librarian on duty via our virtual reference desk (https://yale.zoom.us/my/ylsreference (link is external)). We are available Monday-Friday via zoom 10a-12p and 2p-5p. All times EST.
- You can also reach out to individual Librarians or make an appointment to meet via zoom at a day/time that is convenient for you at /research-help-0.
- Please do not call the reference desk. We are unable to answers phone calls or respond to phone messages at this time.
Course Reserves & Casebooks
Course reserves will not be able to circulate during the fall semester because of the required quarantine period. Casebooks will not be available electronically during the fall semester. Previous availability was provided by publishers on an emergency basis during the spring semester.
Scans of course material will be available through our Scan & Deliver service, subject to copyright restrictions.
Online Study Aids
The law library has added additional study aid packages because our print materials are unavailable.
Quimbee requires students to create a username and password.
West Academic Study Aids can be used just by logging into the Yale network. However, students can also create a username and password.
We have increased our library of e-books, so that many of the titles you need should now be downloadable to the Yale community. We ask that e-books be your first resort during the Covid crisis.
Please follow our guide for accessing electronic books.
Grab and Go Checkout
- The library will provide an electronic book instead of physical book where available unless there is a reason a physical book is required. Please always check for an e-book first: Books+
- To request a physical book from the MORRIS law library catalog, click into the item record of the book you need, and then hit the request button. You will be prompted to sign in with your net id and password.
- Books will be pre-checked out to you, placed in bags and picked up off of the large wooden carts at the end of the corridor to the right of the L3 library entrance (as you’re facing the library). You can return books on the metal carts in the same location. Please see the attached image of the library entrance.
- Do not enter the library reading room unless you have reserved a seat.
- Please move through the area as quickly as possible and maintain 6’ of distance with others picking up books.
- This process will be slower than usual, and we won’t be able to rush requests, so please plan ahead. Typically, new requests will be available to pick up after 9 am on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Only students approved to be in the building can come to check out books. Please minimize trips to the building by picking up books when you have a class in the building. Remember, pick up is NOT available at weekends.
- Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.