“For the barrier of language is sometimes a blessed barrier, which only lets pass what is good. Or – to put the thing less cynically – we may be better in new clean words, which have never been tainted by our pettiness or vice.”
~ E.M. Forster, Where Angels Fear to Tread
The Lillian Goldman Law Library invites you to view an exhibit titled Blessed Barriers: Highlighting Foreign Language Materials in Law, curated by Evelyn Ma, Reference Librarian for Foreign and International Law, and Lucie Olejnikova, Head of Foreign and International law.
The Law Library maintains a focused foreign law collection. For the larger jurisdictions of Europe and Latin America, the Law Library has historically collected a wide range of legal treatises. Legal history, constitutional law, civil rights, and environmental law receive a special emphasis in the collection, but many other subjects are collected as well, including civil law and procedure, criminal law and procedure, commercial law, administrative law, family law, and other areas of public and private law.
Notwithstanding our current collecting effort, which emphasizes materials of English, Chinese, French, German, Spanish, and Italian languages, the depth and breadth of the collection has been enriched over the years through additional acquisitions and gifts. The exhibit, located on L1 in the Foreign and International Law Collection Reading Room, brings to the attention of viewers the variety of works published in a vast array of languages from jurisdictions spanning the Continents.
Sample of titles on display:
- AAN: Pravy chalaveka i baratsʹba sa zlachynnastsi︠u︡: zbornik mizhnarodnykh dakumentaŭ by U. M. Paselʹnikaŭ, V.M. Fisenka / transl. by M.P. Karpovich (1990) / Belorussian Human Rights / Belorussian and Russian in Cyrillic script
- Comentarii la Constitutia Romaniei by Gabriel Andreescu et al. (2010) / Romanian Constitutional Law Commentary / Romanian
- 헌법 소송법 / Constitutional Litigation by Yi, Tong-hŭp (2015) / Korean Constitutional Courts / Korean
- Constitución y procesos constitucionales: estudio introductorio, legislación, jurisprudencia e índices by Samuel B. Abad Yupanqui (2018) / Peruvian Constitutional Law / Spanish
- Evrópskur bankaréttur : og áhrif hans á íslendskan rétt by A. Hjartarson (2017) / Icelandic Banking Law / Icelandic
- Kauser Lipót emlékkönyv by Ádám Antal, Benedek Ferenc and Farkas József (1982) / Lipor Kauser Memorial Book / Hungarian
- Kodēx nomōn: Ekdosis “Ephēmeridos hellenōn nomikōn” (1934-) / Greek Session Law / Greek
- Kodi penal shqiptar (1929) / Albanian Criminal Law / Albanian
- Конституційне право України by V. I. Chyshenko and I.Ia. Zaiats / Constitutional Law of Ukraine / Ukrainian
- Lietuvos Respublikos konstitucija: Lietuvos Respublikos piliečių priimta 1992 m. spalio 25 d. referendum (2005) / Lithuanian Constitution / Lithuanian
- مجموعة أحكام محكمة النقض الصادرة في المواد الجنائية / Majmūʻat aḥkām Maḥkamat al-Naqḍ al-ṣādirah fī al-mawādd al-jināʼīyah by Maḥkamat al-Naqḍ (1949-) / Court of Cassation Collection of Judgements / Arabic
- Nirvācana vidhi nirdeśikā / Manual of election law: a compilation of the statutory provisions governing elections to Parliament and the State Legislatures (1961) / Indian Election Law / Hindi and English
- Norsk statsforfatningsrett by Per Helset, & Bjørn Stordrange (1998) / Norwegian Constitutional Law / Norwegian
- Raṭṭh dhammanuññ prades Kambujā / Constitution du Royaume du Cambodge (1969) / Cambodian Constitutional Law / Cambodian
- Sakʻartʻvelos SSR sisxlis samartʻlis kodekʻsi / Ugolovnyĭ kodeks Gruzinskoĭ SSR (1977) / Georgian Criminal Law / Georgian and Russian
- Sāmrājya-bistāra, svādhīnatā saṃgrāma o āntarjātika sangha by P. Ray (1963) / Bengali International Law / Bengali
- Trestní zákoník České Republiky / Czech Penal Code / Czech and German
- The Burma Code (1955-1958) / Burmese Law / Burmese
- The Laws of Howel Dda: A facsimile reprint of Llanstephan Ms. 116 in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth by T. Lewis (1912) / Welsh Law / Welsh
Additional Languages Represented in our Foreign Law Collection also include: Afrikaans, Amhanic, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Cree, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finish, Hawaiian-Hicks, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Macedonian, Malay, Nepali, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese.