The Yale Law School is hosting the combined Robert L. Bernstein International Human Rights Fellowship Symposium and Arthur Liman Public Interest Colloquium titled “Detention on a Global Scale: Punishment and Beyond” on April 9-10, 2015. To complement this event there is currently on display at the law library a sampling of treatises that assess how the prevalent use of detention as a means of punishment, crime prevention, or administrative expediency in the context of border security against irregular immigration and counterterrorism have pushed the boundaries of democratic governance. The selection of works from our expansive Foreign and International Law Collection features the theme of detention on a global scale and aims to illuminate the intersection of international human rights law, humanitarian law, and refugee law as well as criminal justice.
Recent Acquisitions on the issue of arbitrary detention:
· Torturing terrorists : exploring the limits of law, human rights, and academic freedom / Philip N.S. Rumney
· Law, liberty, and the pursuit of terrorism / Roger Douglas. Managing fear : the law and ethics of preventive detention and risk assessment / Bernadette McSherry
· Pre-trial detention in 20th and 21st century common law and civil law systems / edited by Marion Charret-Del Bove and Fabrice Mourlon
· Presumption of guilt : the global overuse of pretrial detention / written by Martin Schönteich. The Senate Intelligence Committee report on torture : committee study of the Central Intelligence Agency’s Detention and Interrogation Program / Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. Inside police custody : an empirical account of suspects’ rights in four jurisdictions / Jodie Blackstock … [et al.]
· The liberty of non-citizens : indefinite detention in Commonwealth countries / Rayner Thwaites.
· The EU, migration and the politics of administrative detention / edited by Michela Ceccorulli and Nicola Labanca. Suppressed terror : history and perception of Soviet special camps in Germany / Bettina Greiner.
· Managing fear : the law and ethics of preventive detention and risk assessment / Bernadette McSherry
· Inside immigration detention / Mary Bosworth.
To locate additional related works, search in Morris by subject:
· Detention of Persons
· Preventive Detention
· Extraordinary rendition
· Habeas Corpus
· Prisoners of war – Legal status, laws, etc.